Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Tennessee Blogs

Frequently Used Tools:




November 13, 2007

I might be a nerd



So here's the thing. Chemistry is really hard! When I was thinking about what I wanted my major to be when I got to college, I felt like chemistry would have been a pretty wise decision for many reasons. First, chemistry was a joke in high school and so I figured it couldn't be too bad in college. And if I could do well in college then that would have to look good when I was applying to dental school. True, but the problem is that it's really hard, and it's not easy to do well in chemistry.

I remember when I first started chemistry at UT everyone told me the horror stories about organic chemistry and how if you passed with a "C", you should be thrilled. I'll admit, organic was no breeze, but it in no way compares to the level of difficulty of BIOPHYSICAL CHEMISTRY. It just sounds terrible doesn't it? Well it is, trust me! Imagine taking a class that focuses on the most dreaded college classes: chemistry, biology, physics, and calculus all rolled into one.

That is what I have been dealing with on a daily basis. I guess it's just the price you have to pay, but man it is rough. The picture shows my friend, Drew, and myself as we work in our lab preparing samples for one of our experiments. Our lives are consumed by chemistry. I would say on average we spend close to 6 or 8 hours a night outside of class working on lab reports, homework, and studying for exams. Needless to say, we get pretty sick of each other at the end of the semester.

I'm sorry if I'm scaring any of you future science majors. College in general is difficult, but it is a lot of fun at the same time. It has been a rough past four years with chemistry, but I don't think I would trade it for another major. I've learned a lot and my professors have been very helpful. It's true that in the process I have even started to "like" chemistry, and I'm not afraid to throw around some chemistry knowledge when hanging out with friends. I guess I've turned into a chemistry nerd. It happens to the best of us. Well I'm going to quit rambling about how difficult my life is because it's not really that bad. Until next time, stay classy readers.

• • •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home